Written by Decadent Details Assistant, Stephany LaCruz

Hello Our Beautiful Readers,

We hope you all had a fabulous weekend and are enjoying this warm weather. Wedding planning and meeting with vendors can be a bit overwhelming especially if you don’t understand the language. Let's face it ladies, if you're confused just think how you're fiance' may feel! Today’s blog is for the guys so the two of you can speak the same language when meeting with vendors and discussing your wedding. Here's a list of a few common terms to help you both through the wedding planning process.


Buffet: A good way to offer several entrees in a free-flowing atmosphere. Not recommended for couples with limited space.

Food Stations: Similar to a buffet but a station-style reception is one where the food is spread out among different "stations" throughout the reception space. For example, there may be one area that is a carving station, a raw bar, a tapas station, a dessert station, and so forth.

Canapé: simplified this is a bite sized appetizer that is served on a round piece of cracker, bread, or vegetable

Corkage Fee: the fee per bottle of alcohol opened during the reception, usually on alcohol youprovide yourselves

Crudités: raw, sliced vegetable appetizer served with some form of dip


Buttercream: The most common type of icing. It's soft, creamy and sweet, made of butter, sugar and milk. Your baker can use it to cover the outside of your cake and/or as a filling in between the layers.

Fondant: Icing made of sugar, gelatin, corn syrup and glycerin that has a firm yet tender texture and a smooth, porcelain-like finish. It's more expensive than buttercream because decorating with it is more complicated and labor-intensive used to make realistic cake toppings. It can be rolled and used as icing.

Royal Icing: A hard, brittle and not-very-tasty type of icing made of sugar and egg whites. It's used mostly for sculptural decorations, like roses, swirls and dots.

Cornelli: form of piping that creates a 3-D pattern of lace and squiggles

Dragees: silver coated balls made of sugar, usually used for decoration

Genoise: French sponge cake that’s drier than American cakes, usually soaked in liqueur syrup and layered with fruit fillings or whipped cream

Marzipan: hardened almond paste and sugar, usually used to make the decorations that go on top of cake


Chuppah: temporary structure with four poles and a canopy slightly covering them, can be decorated with fabric, flowers, or both

Cascade: form of bouquet where the flowers fall down giving them a sort of waterfall effect, flowing below the waist when held

Filler: inexpensive flowers to make the bouquets fuller, ie. baby’s breath, ivy, ferns etc.

Pomander: the round shaped bouquet suspended from a ribbon handle, could be given to a flower girl instead of a basket

Tussy Mussy: perfect for vintage weddings; silver cone shaped bouquet holder used in the Victorian Era


Prelude: Quiet, gentle "background" music played at the beginning of the ceremony as guests arrive and are seated.

Interlude: A song during the lighting of the unity candle or at another point in the ceremony. It can be instrumental or vocal. "Hymne a l’Amour" by Josh Groban, or the “Wedding Song (There is Love)” by Peter, Paul and Mary are popular choices.

Processional: Stately music played as the bridal party walks down the aisle, with the bride and her escort at the very end (e.g. Pachelbel's famous "Canon in D"). Often the bride's walk is accompanied by a different tune (e.g. Wagner's "Bridal Chorus").

Recessional: Upbeat, triumphant music played at the end of the service as the bride and groom make their way back up the aisle and exit the ceremony. Mendelssohn's "Wedding March," from A Midsummer Night's Dream, is the most popular option.

Postlude: Music that plays until every last guest has exited the ceremony area. It should revert to the background and last around fifteen minutes. “All You Need is Love” by The Beatles is a contemporary surprise to end of the ceremony.


Beveled Edge: slanted edge, usually used on heavy card stock

Cotton Rag: creamy paper made from cotton fiber, won’t discolor over time

Debossed: when letters are pressed into the paper

Deckled Edge: rough, uneven edges, usually torn or die cut to give look

Suite: no this isn’t your hotel suite; this is what your whole invitation package is called

Vellum: thin, transparent paper that can look like frosted glass

These and more terms can be found on Bridal Guide's website. Hopefully these will help you when meeting with vendors and discussing what the two of you envision on your wedding day. If you come across any other terms you don’t know or are too scared to ask, shoot Decadent Details a message. We would be happy to help.

Until Next Week Our Beautiful Readers!