Written by Decadent Details Assistant, Stephany LaCruz
Hello Our Beautiful Readers,
You're best friend's engaged and has asked you to be her Maid of Honor or Matron of Honor if you're already married. Congratulations...she has picked you to stand by her side and say to the world this is my "best" friend! The duties of the Maid or Matron of Honor can vary depending on size and style of the event and also on what the bride-to-be's wishes are. Below is an overview of tasks found on Emily Post which are common to most weddings but not necessarily what she expects. We suggest inviting her for lunch to discuss what she would like for you to be responsible for.
Typical Responsibilities of Attendants
- Pay for their wedding attire and accessories (excluding flowers).
- Arrange and pay for their own transportation. (Wedding hosts should provide the accommodations.)
- Be timely and communicative regarding travel arrangements and acquiring attire.
- Understand the specific duties involved (see below).
- Arrive at specified times for all wedding-related events.
- Attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner; attend other pre-wedding events when feasible.
- Give an individual wedding gift to the couple, or contribute to a group gift from all the attendants.
- Assist the bride and groom whenever possible.
- Be attentive to other guests at the wedding and reception.
Specific Duties of the Maid or Matron of Honor
- Helps the bride select the bridesmaids’ attire.
- Organizes the bridesmaids’ gift to the bride.
- Makes sure bridesmaids have their attire.
- Holds the groom’s wedding ring and the bride’s bouquet during the ceremony.
- Witnesses the signing of the marriage certificate.
- Stands in the receiving line, if there is one.
- Helps the bride during the reception (gathering guests for the cake cutting, dancing, the bouquet toss).
- Helps the bride change into her going-away clothes, and takes care of the bride’s wedding dress and accessories after the reception.
Nice, but optional:
- Helps address invitations and place cards.
- Assists in hosting or organizing a pre-wedding party, if the bridesmaids decide to have one.
We realize the list may seem a little overwhelming. Just remember she chose you for a reason, so be the best Maid of Honor you would want her to be for you! If you need help planning the bridal shower or bachelorette party, Decadent Details Events can help you with the details.
Until next week our beautiful readers...